Measuring Pipeline Coating Quality with a PCM (Pipeline Current Mapper)
A Pipeline Current Mapper or PCM is a device used to perform an AC current attenuation survey to qualitatively rank coating quality and highlight pipeline locations with the most significant coating holidays (defects). An AC current is applied to the pipeline and coating damage is located and prioritized according to the magnitude of current attenuation.
AC current attenuation surveys can be performed with impressed current cathodic protection systems energized. When sacrificial (or galvanic) anodes are connected to the pipeline either directly or through a test station, it is recommended that they be disconnected when feasible when performing pipeline coating quality testing to prevent signal loss and enhance current flow down the pipeline.
Qualified MATCOR technical personnel can conductPCM AC current attenuation surveys to determine pipeline coating quality in the field for oil, gas and water pipelines. Data is then analyzed by NACE certified experts.
With MATCOR, you benefit from:
- Over 40 years of experience with all types of cathodic protection systems
- Experience testing, installing and maintaining cathodic protection systems for all types of structures throughout the world
- Highly qualified professional and NACE corrosion engineers and technicians
- Team members with experience on the client side of CP projects
- Experience managing multi-million dollar CP projects and corrosion departments of large utilities and pipeline companies
- MATCOR’s many proprietary cathodic protection systems that are lower in cost and have longer lives than some commonly used CP systems
MATCOR’s mission is to solve your corrosion problems. We are ready to assist with your corrosion engineering and field service needs, including design, manufacturing, installation, commissioning and ongoing maintenance, as well as project management and full turnkey solutions. In addition, we offer a broad range of proprietary corrosion prevention products.
To get in touch with our team of corrosion experts for more information, to ask a question or get a quote, please click below. We will respond by phone or email within 24 hours. For immediate assistance, please call +1-215-348-2974.Contact a Corrosion Expert