Horizontal directional drilling, or HDD, also known as directional boring, is a trenchless method used to install cathodic protection and AC mitigation systems. HDD is often ideal for applications where:
- Installation is under a road, river, tank or other physical obstacle
- Where a low footprint and minimal surface impact are required such as golf courses, residential neighborhoods and environmentally sensitive areas
- There are right-of-way issues and there is no footprint to install a ground bed
MATCOR provides HDD installation services throughout North America for:
New above ground storage tank bottom cathodic protection systems
- Retrofit or replacement CP systems for existing or aging storage tanks
- Low impact horizontal ground beds
- Pipeline casings
- AC mitigation systems
- A variety of other anode installations
Benefits of Horizontal Directional Drilling Installation
The low surface impact of an HDD installation along with the ability to drill under structures and obstacles allows for the installation of anodes in places that cannot be installed using conventional trenching equipment, making HDD ideal for a wide range of applications.
MATCOR provides HDD services to directly install anodes or to install slotted plastic pipe such as PVC or HDPE into which an anode can be pulled. We also install monitoring tubes (micro-slotted PVC pipe) for pulling reference electrodes.
MATCOR is the HDD drilling leader in the cathodic protection industry. Our large fleet of vertical and horizontal drilling rigs is strategically placed in North America and staffed by experienced, qualified drilling professionals and construction support personnel. MATCOR’s quality cathodic protection systems and AC mitigation systems are backed by an impeccable safety record and a world class team of NACE certified cathodic protection engineering professionals.